1. Brian Paulson

A powerful insight Marcia. Thank you for this offering of mystery. “The light shines … in the darkness …”

Thank you for reading and for commenting, Brian. And darkness befriended is what I am feeling today… I think of Pseudo Dionysius’ “divine dark.” There is a stunning poetry to this day when Jesus abides in death. Sending lots of love to the whole First Presbyterian Church of Libertyville community.

2. Thanks Marcia for this haunting, yet uplifting piece. I was deeply moved by the jarring imagery that ultimately ends in beauty. We need to linger a bit longer in the grip of Friday before tomorrow’s resurrection!

Thank you, Jin, for your comment. It is hard to linger here. Thankful for the community of faithful who are trying to do just that…

3. Beverly Rudolph

I feel sort of off today, listless, restless. Waiting. This poem spoke to all those parts of me I have been trying to reject today. Now I seep into them, into Him. Peace. Uneasy peace, but peace nonetheless. Thank you, Marcia.

Thank you, Beverly. A strong testimony to the disposition Holy Saturday invites–uneasy, off, restless..and peace nonetheless.

4. Very powerful, but it seems to both constrict and liberate, give and take, perhaps it is this tussling between both extremes that gives the poem its power.

5. Alicia

I just discovered this post three weeks into the Easter season. I’ve been feeling alienated from the entire Lent/Easter narrative this year.

I’m grateful for your poem. Thank you for voicing wonder and hope, grounded in bodies and living.

Thank you, Alicia, for finding your way here–sounds like it was the right time for you! I, too, connected with the Holy Saturday dynamic more than anything this year. There is such integrity and healing in the tomb/womb/darkness/gestating/transforming day of this new layer of both/and “ness” for Christ. It continues to speak to me as a person with a body that is living/dying/rejoicing/grieving/dancing/resting and everything in between.
      Prayers for you and blessings in your own journey around the edges this Easter season.
      Peace

6. Toni DiCapua

WOW! I’ve been feeling very alone these past few days and especially with Mother’s day this Sunday. (Mother passed two years ago.) I’m going to have to reread this a few times. Somehow I’m sensing that it is speaking to me of my current feelings.

Thank you, Toni. I am thankful that you found resonance there. Grief can be so isolating. The gift of Holy Saturday is that we are reminded of Christ’s abiding presence in the depths of our despair. Walk slowly with it all and be gentle with yourself.
      Peace to you,

7. Marianne

Your evocative words express the darkness of the place of the dead Jesus that I’ve been experiencing since yesterday’s Good Friday service. And the song fills the heart with the hope of Easter, why we wait at the tomb. Thank you, thank you.